Founded in 1892
Our 18 hole heathland golf course has a real links feel, being situated above the busy Royston town. On a beautiful sunny day, views from Therfield Heath go as far as the eye can see stretching over three surrounding counties. In addition to our picturesque golf course, we have a 120-person clubhouse capacity, with locally sourced beverages, new catering manager and Head Professional offering the complete package for all visitors and members alike twelve months through the year.
THE HISTORY OF ROYSTON GOLF CLUB
Golf on Therfield Heath, first came into being in 1869 when two Cambridge Undergraduates thought this would be an excellent position for a Golf links that could be used by fellow students.
These two gentlemen were Lord Dunedin and George Gosset both very keen golfers who came over with a bag of clubs each and set about arranging their golf course by establishing the holes by position and distance according to their striking of golf balls.
A simple but effective basis which was helped by the fact that the heathland was all close cropped grass. This course unfortunately only lasted about two years when in 1871 it was felt that Royston was too far from Cambridge.
However in 1890 the idea of a golf course on the Heath came to the fore again. This time it was with the encouragement of the Conservators and the help of two gentlemen from the now formed Cambridge University Golf Club.
The course that was designed followed much of the original eighteen holes set out in 1869. This was the prelude to the establishment of Royston Golf Club on the 1st May 1892 and although there have been several changes to the course in the last thirty years, mainly to increase the length and avoid playing over a road, every effort has been made to preserve its character.
The course lies within an SSS! (Site of Special Scientific Interest). Working with Natural England and the Conservators, Royston Golf Club is at the forefront of Heath management, for the benefit of all. A significant part of the Club’s involvement is the preservation of the natural features of the heath for the public good. Therfield Heath is well known for its flora especially the wild orchids. In the early spring the south facing side of the church hill is covered with the purple Anemone Pulsatilla, or Pasque Flower, which according to folklore only grew where Danish blood had been spilled – this is the largest colony of wild Pulsatilla in Europe.
Royston town it self is steeped in history, after growing up around the crossing of two ancient highways. In Norman times a Lady called Roisia marked this famous crossroads by a wayside cross erected on a stone base. This became the site of a settlement known as ‘Roisia’s Cross’ where the carefully preserved stone base can still be seen today. The derivation it is believed of the name ‘Royston’